Rainbow Lanes, located at the corner of Briant and South Jefferson Streets, was built in 1951 by Bob Reeder. The bowling center was operated by his father while Bob served his country in the Armed Forces, and Bob resumed management of Rainbow Lanes upon his return. It was eventually purchased by Otis Terry, who then sold it to Jim Hall and John Smith in 1965.
Hall and Smith turned ownership over to Dick Hall in 1965.In 1974, Furl "Doc" Elzey and his wife, Charlotte, became partners with Dick, and then bought him out, taking full ownership, in 1978. Rainbow Lanes is still owned by Doc and Charlotte, and it's a true family business, with their children and grandchildren also working there.